Tuesday 3 July 2012

Fanfiction

Okay, I know I was supposed to follow the list (once again), however, this is a wee bit more serious than the things I have on the list... Perhaps I shall make a post on those topics later on.

      According to Dictionary.com the term "fanfiction" means "fiction written by fans of a TV series, movie, etc., using existing characters and situations to develop new plots". I feel the need to blog about this because I know many people who dislike fanfiction and the most popular reason for that is, of course, it ruins the entire story of the movie/show/book/game they like. But think about it. Fanfiction is something that is written by people of various ages,  for free, so the fellow fans could enjoy more moments with their favourite characters. Most people love to forget that. 
     I've read many fanfics, and I must say, most of them are very well written, and there are almost no grammatical errors, except a few typos and lack of punctuation (look who's talking... I think I might have a few punctuation errors myself). I would say more than a half of the fanfics I've read were written by teenagers and young adults, and let me assure you, they are as good as New York Times Bestselling Short Stories, if such a thing exists. Of course, there are ratings and warnings and this lovely thing that is called "fanfiction dictionary", which defines terms such as OOC (Out Of Character- the main character in the story possesses different attributes, or a different personality altogether), or OC (Original Character- the character is, as you can tell from the title, still the same, with only minor and wholly insignificant changes). A reader can browse through quick descriptions and pick out a fanfic of their preference, all easy as pi (a math pun doesn't belong here, in this somewhat Grammar related blog).
      So before you say that fanfiction is something for amateurs and those who have too much time on their hands, think about what I had said above. The process of writing a fanfiction is (as I address it) is art, and is no different from writing a short story, or a book. People who write fanfiction enjoy doing so, and are re-connecting other fans from all over the world with their favourite heroes. And they are doing it for free, ergo they are amazing, humble authors waiting to be discovered and praised.

Thank you for beautiful fanfics,

A

No comments:

Post a Comment